Thursday 18 February 2021

New Year - new challenges

2020 was a wipe out year.... I'm just erasing it!  I think I got less done in 2020 than in other normal years. 

I did read more, but only just and didnt particupate in any reading or sewing challenges. 

I feel like 2021 should have some aims so I dont fall into the habit of just cruising by.

So, I am going to try again to do some book challenges - just so I get a variety of books in my reading and try to read from my tbr piles (3 x bookcases of tbr if I want to be really honest 😄)

European Reading Challenge: I am doing this one again this year.. signed up for the Honeymooner level - 4 books from 4 different countries - can be fiction, non-fiction, travel etc. I'm already on country number 2 now, so I should be able to complete this challenge.


Back to the Classics:   This year I have chosen just 4 categories to read from so as to not overwhelm myself...
Classic by a Women Author - Willa Cather novel
A travel or adventure classic (fiction or non-fiction) - Charmain Clifts Travels in Greece
20th Century classic - Virginia Woolf novel
A children's classic - The Dark is Rising - Susan Cooper


Victorian Reading Challenge:  Again I am signed up to this one.  I am going to aim to read 5 books, one each at least, from the following categories:

  • NONFICTION. Read nonfiction books (autobiographies, biographies, etc.) published during the Victorian era OR nonfiction books about the Victorian era or specific Victorians;
  • JOURNEYS and TRAVELS;
  • LOVE and MARRIAGE;
  • HOME AND FAMILY;
  • BACK TO SCHOOL.  


WW2 Reading Challenge: 
this is a new one for this year. Im going to choose 4 books from the following categories:

  • Fiction published during 1939-1945
  • Fiction set during 1939-1945
  • Fiction that is about the leading up to the war
  • Fiction that is about the direct aftermath of the war
  • Nonfiction books about the War
  • Biographies or Autobiographies with sections about the war
  • Essays, Articles, Op-Ed pieces
  • historical-historical (straight up historical with no sub-genres)
  • historical romance
  • historical mysteries
  • historical coming-of-age
  • historical thrillers/suspense/spy novels


The Historical Fiction Challenge: I already read alot of historical ficiton and its one of my favourite genres, so always enjoy this challenge.

I've committed to the Renaissance Reader - 10 books.


Read Scotland:  this will be the 8th year I have participated in this challenge and I have never quite reached my goal. The idea is that you read books by Scottish authors, set in Scotland or about Scotland.  I have signed up to the 'Robert Burns' level which is 6-10 books. I only read 3 last year, so need to up my reading.



Australian Women Writers Challenge:  again I am joining in the fun of this and trying to read more books by Australian women writers... last year I managed 1 book in this category which is kind of abysmal.  Need to up this as there are so many good books by Australian women or about Australian women.



The Backlist Reader Challenge:  This is the second time I have tried this challenge. I need to read more from my tbr piles. They are growing by the day! 



No comments:

Post a Comment