Monday 12 April 2021

The Book of Wonders - Julien Sandrel


This book has been translated from the French by Ros Schwartz.

This book is not the first book I have read in my Reading Europe Challenge but I have only chosen 4 for the challenge and I have already read more than than 4 books from European countries.

I would call this a heart-warming, feel good book. It is quite short and certainly an easy enough read - but to be honest I had to read the synopsis again to remind me of what it was about. It didnt really stay or resonate with me.

Its about a very busy, career orientated single-monther in Paris who has a 12 year old son. The son has a skateboard accident and is in a coma for some time and the prognosis is not good.

The mother finds it difficult to cope with the tragedy and finds her son's 'bucket list' (Book of Wonders) in his room. She decides to fulfil his dreams and embarks on a number of adventures.  She films them so her son can experience and follow along with her via his iPad in the hospital. She goes on a number of these 'adventures' - i.e. a trip to Tokyo, football training camp.

While it was a farily light book, it was heartfelt and did have some important themes like how we respond to grief, family dynamics, guilt over work/family life, love of your children and forgiveness.

I enjoyed the book and was going to read another by this author, but wanted something a little more challenging, but a nice gentle read.






No comments:

Post a Comment